The Abbott program was designed by the State of New Jersey to ensure that young children in pre- school are given high quality education that can allow youngsters to make an easy transition to Kindergarten. High-quality preschool programs have been shown to dramatically raise children’s abilities at school entry, increase early and later achievement test scores, reduce grade repetition and placement in special education, and boost graduation rates
More Information on the Abbott Program can be found by clicking this link: Early Childhood Education of NJ: Abbott Program
The New Jersey Supreme Court set out a few basic standards for quality preschool education
(1) A certified teacher and an assistant for each class;
(2) Maximum class size of 15 students;
(3) Developmentally appropriate curriculum;
(4) Adequate facilities; and,
(5) Transportation, health and other related services as needed.
Requirements to Enroll
UNION CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION FREE EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION PROGRAM (FULL DAY) PARENTS/GUARDIANS OF CHILDREN WHO ARE TO ENTER THE UNION CITY SCHOOL SYSTEM AS OF SEPTEMBER 2007 INCLUDING PRE-SCHOOL. PRE-KINDERGARTEN, KINDERGARTEN, NEW AND TRANSFER STUDENTS.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET BEFORE THE CHILD WILL BE ADMITTED:
1. PARENTS/GUARDIANS MUST BRING TWO PROOFS OF RESIDENCE AS INDICATED ACCORDING TO RESIDENCE RULES TO BE DISTRIBUTED WITH THE REGISTRATION PACKAGE.
2. PRE-SCHOOL CHILDREN MUST BE THREE YEARS OF AGE OR BEFORE SEPTEMBER 1, 2007.
3. PRE- KINDERGARTEN CHILDREN MUST BE FOUR YEARS OF AGE ON OR BEFORE SEPTEMBER 1, 2007.
4. KINDERGARTEN CHILDREN MUST BE FIVE YEARS OF AGE ON OR BEFORE SEPTEMBER 1, 2007.
5. THE FOLLOWING CERTIFICATES MUST BE PRESENTED AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION:
a) Birth Certificate/Baptismal Certificate/Passport/Social Security Card/
b) Up-to-date immunization record according to New Jersey State Department of Health requirements.
c) The result of a physical examination preformed by a physician on a medical form supplied by the Union City Board of Education.
d) Photo ID of Parent/Guardian.